These days you never know whether it’s going to be 40° or –10° on any given day, so it’s a good idea to prepare for the worst. For me, one of the things that entails is having all the ingredients on hand to make some killer vegan hot chocolate. Nothing warms you up on a frigid evening like a cozy blanket on the couch and a mug of rich, comforting cocoa.
I haven’t researched prepackaged vegan versions of hot chocolate at all, but I’m guessing there are some out there. The majority of the powder packets you can buy, mix with water (ugh!) and nuke in the microwave have milk ingredients though. And it’s better to work from scratch with this anyway. You could never get the rich flavors that come from melting chocolate and mixing it with creamy non-dairy milk from those instant packets.
This recipe doesn’t take long, either. Maybe one or two minutes more than putting it in the microwave, but the payoff is so big. So keep your pantry stocked with these ingredients and on the next night you’re cold down to your bones, warm up with this delicious and comforting recipe. And top it with So Delicious CocoWhip for the ultimate experience!
Let me know how your chocolaty experience goes in the comments below!
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Bring soy milk to a simmer over high heat in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in cocoa powder until it’s mixed thoroughly and return to simmer.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted, about 3–5 minutes.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Pour into mugs and top with So Delicious CocoWhip and a dusting of cocoa powder.