Spicy Red Lentil Dal
Author: The Nut-Free Vegan
Recipe type: Side
Serves: About 6 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. cayenne (ground red) pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ginger
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring water to boil in large pot.
- Add lentils, reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk and cook another 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium-low; add garlic and onion. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, spices and lemon to pan, cook about 3 minutes.
- Add skillet mixture and cilantro to lentils and stir gently until everything is combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
This recipe is gluten-free.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 203
Recipe by The Nut-Free Vegan at http://thenutfreevegan.net/spicy-red-lentil-dal/