Happy New Year, everyone! I hope your resolutions are still intact and you’re having a great 2018 so far. I’m writing this from the middle of something called a bombogenesis. It’s a sort of snowy cyclone, I’m told. All I know for sure is that earlier this week I was surfing the Pacific Ocean out in Los Angeles, and now I’m in the freezing snow globe that is New York. It’s quite a shock to the system.
Because we’re probably all in need of some comfort food right now, here is a recipe for Slow Cooker Smashed Potatoes. It takes a little while to make, but the payoff is totally worth it. And since there’s a slow cooker involved, you can set it and forget it. Let the potatoes soften while you’re out shoveling snow—even if you live in Florida.
These potatoes pair really well with my “Tastes Like Chicken” Seitan, or make a great addition to something a little less meaty like this Mushroom Lentil Shepherd’s Pie from Vegan Richa. However you decide to enjoy them, they’re sure to make you happy.
If you make these, don’t forget to let me know in the comments below and tag me in your social media posts. And here’s to an amazing 2018!
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- ½ cup dairy-free milk plus more if needed
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter plus more for topping
- Add potatoes, garlic, water, olive oil, salt and pepper to slow cooker. Cover and heat on low for 7 hours (or on high for 3 hours) or until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and smash potatoes with hand masher and stir everything together with wooden spoon, adding more milk if too thick.
- This recipe is gluten-free.
You can peel the potatoes and mix with an electric mixer for smoother potatoes.