Today there were torrential downpours here in New Jersey. Having moved back East after spending years in Seattle, these have become my favorite days. There’s a line in the song “No Room in Frame” by Death Cab for Cutie that goes, “How can I stay/in the sun when the rain flows/all through my veins.” I really relate to that after my time in the Northwest. Plus I’ve always been a huge fan of rain and especially thunderstorms.
Days like today are best spent curled up on the couch under a blanket, maybe bingeing season two of Stranger Things or reading a book. But most definitely with some comfort food in hand. That’s where this recipe comes in.
Pasta is always great, but it’s even better on a cool, rainy day. Mix in some veggies and a little cream sauce and you have a hearty dish that’ll fill you up and make you feel cozy. I used asparagus and mushrooms in this recipe, but I briefly considered Brussels sprouts instead, since they’re one of my favorite vegetables—as evidenced by their gratuitous appearances on this blog (Southwestern Brussels Sprouts Chips, Brussels Sprouts Fried Rice). Asparagus is the way to go, though. And with that creamy sauce and some yummy Lightlife Smart Bacon thrown in, this is a bowl that will comfort you on even the rainiest of days.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below.
Pasta with Asparagus, Mushrooms and "Bacon"
- 1 package vegan bacon I used Lightlife Smart Bacon
- 1 16- oz. box penne
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 bunch asparagus about 6 stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. vegan butter
- Prepare bacon and penne according to package instructions.
- Heat oil over medium heat in deep frying pan, add asparagus.
- Cook for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- While vegetables cook, heat soy milk, nutritional yeast and butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir continually until it begins to thicken and set aside.
- Add pasta, bacon and cream sauce to vegetables and mix thoroughly. Cook for 1 more minute, remove from heat and serve immediately.