New Mexico Green Chile Stew
This vegan version of the popular New Mexican Green Chile Stew is exactly what you need on a chilly fall night. It's spicy, flavorful and super easy to make.
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 16 oz. seitan I used Upton’s Naturals Traditional Seitan, but my “Tastes Like Chicken” Seitan recipe works well, too, if you want to make a homemade batch.
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 pound white potatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 3 cups green chiles diced
- 1 Tbsp. Chipotle diced, in Adobo sauce
- 3 Tbsp. diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté onions until golden.
Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Stir in seitan, broth, potatoes and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Add the green chiles, chipotle in adobo and red bell pepper. Cook 10 to 20 minutes longer.
Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.