It’s been pretty incredible to watch the rise of Beyond Meat in recent months. With the release of their new meatless Beyond Burger, they’ve spread like wildfire into grocery stores, restaurants, and even schools. Add to that recent projections that the dairy alternative market will reach $35 billion by 2020 and the future is looking bright for plant-based diets and (fingers crossed) animal agriculture will start to decline.
As the vegan food industry grows, the products are becoming closer and closer to the “real thing,” which I think makes it more likely for carnivores to give it a try; they’re not really giving anything up. And this latest Beyond Burger makes it easier. That might be the reason it’s becoming ubiquitous.
I’ve tried a lot of different vegan burgers over the years, and I’ve even made my own. But it’s pretty evident that this new Beyond Burger is the closest thing to an actual beef burger that we have. Before I was vegan I really loved burgers, so it’s nice to have something that takes me back to how those made me feel before I understood where they came from. So with that in mind, here is a deconstructed Big Mac recipe that I think you’ll love as much as I do.
Despite my love of sandwiches, this is the first burger recipe I’m posting to this site and I think it’s a fitting start. People—including me—love the McDonald’s classic, so I wanted to bring that flavor to the site in a healthier, animal-friendly way.
Give it a shot and let me know how it goes in the comments below. Also, what’s your favorite burger recipe to veganize? With the Beyond Burger you can now do it!
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Beyond Meat Beyond Burger, sliced (or your favorite meat-free burger)
- 2 cups kale (I used baby kale, but you can also use regular kale or lettuce)
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 1 small tomato, quartered
- 4-6 pickle chips
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese (I used SoDelicious’s new Cheddar Shreds)
- For the dressing
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. sweet relish
- 1 tsp. ketchup
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- Heat oil over medium heat in skillet, add burger.
- Cook for three minutes on each side and remove from heat to rest.
- Put bed of kale in bowl and top with onion, tomato, pickles and cheddar.
- Slice burger and set on top of other ingredients.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl and spoon desired amount onto burger bowl.