It’s December now, and the weather is cold as the holidays approach. But that doesn’t mean you can’t still eat healthy things. Most people—myself included—get wrapped up in stuffing their faces for the last part of the year and make amends at the gym in January. I’ve made a pact with myself not to do that this year, so during this time of overindulgence I’ll be visiting Planet Fitness three times a week and sharing recipes here that are lighter and somewhat better for you than a lot of what you may be used to this time of year (Monday’s Matcha Sugar Cookies aside).
I adapted these Korean Tempeh Lettuce Wraps from this version on Panning the Globe. While the original is easy to make, I simplified it even further and added rice to make it more hearty. The rice could take it from appetizer to entrée if you’re so inclined. And, as always, I veganized the original recipe, replacing the beef with tempeh.
So if you want to get out of that heavy-holiday-food mode, give these wraps a try. Or serve them as an appetizer at your upcoming party. They’re a little outside the box for this time of year, and I think that’s what makes them perfect.
I’d love to see how these turn out for you, so make sure to tag #nutfreevegan on social media so I can check out the photos!
Korean Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- For the pickled onions and radishes
- 1½ cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 8 radishes thinly sliced
- ½ large red onion sliced
- For the tempeh
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 8-oz. package tempeh, crumbled (I used LightLife Soy Tempeh)
- For the sriracha mayo
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ tsp. sriracha
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a boil in small saucepan. Lower heat and simmer until salt and sugar dissolve. Mix with radishes and onions in bowl, and cool for 15 minutes. Chill for 45 minutes.
- Combine tempeh ingredients in medium bowl and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in skillet and add tempeh. Sauté until cooked thoroughly, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix vegan mayo and sriracha.
- Assemble wraps by laying out lettuce leaves and topping with rice, tempeh, pickled onions and radishes, sriracha mayo and cilantro.