For the past few years I’ve been hooked on quinoa. It’s become very popular, so it’s easy to get and thank goodness—it’s amazing! Versatile, too. You can use it as a base, as a veggie-burger ingredient, in baking, and pretty much anywhere else you feel like trying in the kitchen.
One of the quinoa dishes I’ve gone back to time and time again is this recipe from Whole Foods. Their version isn’t vegan, so I tweaked it to accommodate us plant-based people. The sausage, of course, isn’t real sausage. I use Field Roast’s Smoked Apple Sage links because their flavors match perfectly to this dish. I also switched up the liquids a bit to make it slightly sweeter. You’ll see what I mean below.
This meal requires only one pot and about 45 minutes, so give it a whirl! If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal for the family, this is the one.
One-Pot Sausage, Kale and Quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 4 Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage sausage links cut into ½-inch-thick quarters
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped sage
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups chopped kale
- In large pan, heat oil and add sausage.
- Cook 5 minutes, then add onion and sage. Cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Add liquids, quinoa, cranberries, and salt; stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cover; cook until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in kale and cover, then let sit for 5 minutes.