It’s the day after the Super Bowl and while I’m not a football fan at all, I was very excited last night when the Philadelphia Eagles took the Vince Lombardi trophy home to the city of brotherly love for the first time ever. I’m from a town a few hours west of there—and lived in the city for a while—so they’re the team the people I know root for. I always like to see people happy, and I know a lot of people were last night. Especially my wife’s family. They’re all long-suffering Eagles fans who finally got to see their team win a championship, and that’s pretty awesome.
I know a lot of people will stay home from work today—hopefully they didn’t overdo it with too many awesome vegan appetizers—but I’m here, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to bring you a great new recipe that I think will come in handy throughout the bone-chilling weeks of February.
This White Bean Soup with Kale and Vegan Sausage is perfect for when the temperatures are low and you need something to warm you up. It’s hearty, healthy and really easy to make with only 11 ingredients. For the sausage I used Tofurky brand, but there are plenty of other ones out there, too. So go with whatever your preference is. However you put it together, this soup is going to make you really happy. It’s just what you need to power through these last few frosty weeks of winter.
I hope you’ll give this soup a try and let me know how it goes. Tag @nutfreevegan on social media or comment below!
White Bean Soup with Kale and Vegan Sausage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 links Italian sausage sliced (I use Tofurky brand, but you can use your favorite)
- ½ white onion diced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 15.5 oz. cans white beans (I used great northern, but cannellini would work just as well)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat in Dutch oven or stock pot. Add sausage and cook until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Add onions to pot and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Add carrots, beans and vegetable broth and increase heat to bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until carrots and beans are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in kale and return sausage to pot. Cook on low for another 2 to 3 minutes or until kale is soft.