If I could live off of only two things they’d be French fries and ice cream. Of course, if I only ate those two, I wouldn’t live very long. That’s why I try to have both in moderation—especially now that we know fries are out to get us.
But summer is here now and there’s no way I’m not stuffing my face with gobs of delicious ice cream. Nothing counteracts those crazy 100°F temperatures like a cold scoop of everybody’s favorite dessert. And while there are a few things I really love in my ice cream—chocolate and peanut butter, specifically—lately I’ve been thinking that coffee is what I need.
This recipe is pretty easy. Just brew some coffee, chill it and then throw it in the blender with everything else. Freeze overnight and BOOM, you’re beating the heat in style the next day. Grab a cone or bowl and head out to your favorite Adirondack chair on the hottest afternoon to wrestle summer into submission, because you’ll be bringing with you the greatest weapon against oppressive heat: amazing vegan ice cream.
I’d love to know what your favorite ice cream flavors are, so hit me up on social media at the handle @nutfreevegan!
- 2 (13.6-oz.) cans coconut milk (high fat coconut milk works best and helps avoid crystallization)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong coffee, brewed and chilled
- Place cans of coconut milk in freezer 10 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pan and place in freezer.
- Stir every 20 minutes for the first hour and return to freezer. Freeze overnight.
For those who don't have peanut allergies, you might also give our No-Churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream a try.