Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and that probably means you’ll need something delicious and sugary for your sweetheart. Enter these Strawberry Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts. They’re an inside-out version of those oh-so-romantic chocolate-dipped strawberries everybody hands out. And…they’re doughnuts! Who doesn’t love a good one of those on Valentine’s Day, or any other day of the year?
These aren’t too far off from my Chocolate Doughnuts with Espresso Glaze from around the time I started this site last year (I can’t believe it’s been a year already!), but minus all the coffee and with a little fruit on top. Both would be great for your sweetheart or your own sweet tooth. And they’re super easy to make—only 25 total minutes of investment. That’s perfect if you’re a last-minute kind of person and don’t feel right giving the love of your life those boring old cake doughnuts from Dunkin’ Donuts.
Let me know how it goes with these by commenting below or by tagging @nutfreevegan on social media. If I were writing a comment, I would say something like, “My wife didn’t enjoy these because I ate all six myself…” Hopefully you’ll have more self-control than I did and these will be a Valentine’s Day hit!
Strawberry Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup vegan buttermilk plant-based milk—I like soy for this recipe—plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¾ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg replacement
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 325°F. Coat doughnut pan with oil or nonstick spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In small bowl, whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, egg (replacement), vegetable oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until fully blended.
- Spoon batter into large Ziplock bag (and cut corner) or pastry bag and squeeze into pan until pan is about ⅔ full.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until you can insert toothpick in center of doughnut and it comes out clean.
- While doughnuts bake, blend strawberries until relatively smooth and add to a mixing bowl. Slowly stir in confectioner’s sugar until completely mixed.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn over onto cooling rack.
- Dip doughnut tops into glaze and enjoy!