Jackfruit is quickly becoming a go-to meat replacement for a lot of vegans and vegetarians. I’ve recently seen products and recipes everywhere from Starbucks to the TODAY show, and I only anticipate more to come.
This fruit is its own thing, so there isn’t any processing. There’s no soy, no nuts, and no gluten either. It’s perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike who have allergies. That’s a big plus for me and for the readers of this site. So far I’ve only made Jackfruit Carne Asada as a recipe and posted here, but today I’m happy to share a second one for Jackfruit Tacos Al Pastor.
“Al pastor” comes from the Spanish for “shepherd’s style” and usually involves pork and pineapple. I kept the latter in, but swapped out the former for jackfruit. The result is a spicy taco with some sweetness to it and a ton of flavor. And it’s made in a slow cooker, so you can set it and forget it. This makes a great weeknight dinner (Taco Tuesday, perhaps?), or it could work well as a dish for the upcoming Super Bowl.
Any time is the right time for this recipe! I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know how it goes. Be sure to tag @nutfreevegan on social media so I can check out your photos, or hit me up in the comments below.
Slow Cooker Jackfruit Tacos Al Pastor
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 Tbsp. chipotles minced in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. garlic minced
- ¼ cup white vinegar distilled
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 4 cups jackfruit shredded
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Mix ingredients from oregano to vegetable broth together in bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Add pineapple and jackfruit and toss to coat. Let marinate for 20–30 minutes.
- Place in slow cooker and cook on high for about four hours.
- Serve in tortillas topped with diced white onions and cilantro.