If you’re like me you’re a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich (vegan, of course). And you probably are like me, because I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person who was like, “nah, I don’t like those.” That’s because there’s absolutely nothing to dislike about it. You have awesome, gooey cheese with a bread delivery system so it doesn’t run down your hand and get onto your shirtsleeve. It’s brilliant! Plus, add a little mayo to the outside of said bread like I did in this version of the sandwich and you’re in comfort food heaven.
But why stop there? Sure, if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it. But what about enhancing it? That’s what I tried to do with this delicious Caprese Salad Grilled Cheese. It’s the same amazing sandwich you know and love, but with a little extra pizazz.
My experience with the caprese salad doesn’t extend beyond wedding hors d’oeuvres and maybe its availability at the Whole Foods salad bar, but when I came across it recently the mozzarella really stood out and got me to thinking about how I could adapt it somehow. And whenever I think about cheese, I immediately default to the grilled cheese sandwich. So I tried a few things and ended up with this recipe, which I love and will probably now make at least once every week. I didn’t go the vegan mozzarella route with this because while I do enjoy the various brands of that, I think Field Roast’s Creamy Original Chao Slices are the perfect “cheese” for a sandwich like this. They’re creamy, melt incredibly well and just taste super good. And when you partner them with all the other ingredients—including balsamic mayo—in this sandwich it’s a little taste of heaven.
Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments below after you’ve made it, and please use the social media buttons to share it!
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices of bread (I used sourdough, but whatever you prefer will work)
- 2–3 slices of Field Roast Creamy Original Chao Slices or your preferred vegan mozzarella
- 2 thick tomato slices
- 4 basil leaves, cut
- Mix balsamic vinegar with mayonnaise and coat one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat oil over low heat in frying pan and add one slice of bread, mayonnaise-side down.
- Layer “cheese,” tomato and basil onto bread and top with remaining slice—mayonnaise-side up.
- Cook until cheese begins to melt and bread turns brown, about 5 minutes. Turn sandwich over and repeat.