Everybody loves a good Caesar salad. I used to devour them like crazy when I was young . . . until I found out they often had anchovies as an ingredient. The idea of that freaked me out. Funny how you can love something until you understand what it is, and then your preconceptions get in the way. And even when I switched to a plant-based diet, most of the recipes I found used cashews, either in the dressing or the “parmesan” that goes on top, so I’ve been Caesar-less for quite some time.
I know that companies like Follow Your Heart and Daiya are coming out with their own take on the Caesar dressing lately, and they taste really great. But if you can’t find any of those in your grocery store, this recipe, which is much cheaper and contains fewer ingredients, can be made quickly right in your own kitchen.
My version of the Caesar is really simple: the dressing has nine ingredients and only takes a couple of minutes to make. And the salad itself includes five things that are rich in vitamins and nutrients to make this dish not only a win for your tastebuds, but also for your health.
If you’re a vegan and a fan of the Caesar salad, I think you’ll love this version. There are no nuts to worry about if you have allergies, and the flavors are really wonderful. So give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below.
- 1 package Lightlife “Fakin Bacon” tempeh
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed, chopped and massaged
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed (see note below)
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart vegan Parmesan
- Cook tempeh according to instructions on package and set aside..
- In a food processor or blender, pulse Vegenaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and water until smooth—about 20 seconds.
- Mix kale and desired amount of dressing in a large bowl. Toss until the kale is coated.
- Add in tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan and tempeh. Serve immediately.