I found this calendar online that tells you which days are national [fill-in-the-blank] day. It’s filled with things I never would have imagined have a day dedicated just to them—things like macaroni and paper bags—but because it tells me that today we are to celebrate the wonderful libation tequila, I’ve decided to offer up a tasty margarita recipe that will help you pay homage in the best possible way.
It’s summer, which means watermelon season is in full swing. Have you ever had a watermelon margarita? It’s amazing. And you know what makes it even better? A little bit of heat.
This spicy watermelon margarita recipe is a great way to manage these dog days of summer. It’s fun and refreshing with its chilly, fruity flavor, and there’s a little pow! at the end, provided by a slight jalapeño infusion. It’s cool and hot, like a McDLT, and super easy to make. Just follow the recipe below and in five minutes you’ll be sipping the evening away and celebrating tequila—probably with your neighbors and relatives since this is a “national” day.
I mostly just hope you enjoy this and forget that it’s Monday.
- 2 oz. puréed watermelon, seeded
- 1 Tbsp. coarsely ground sea salt
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1.5 oz. tequila
- ½ oz. triple sec
- ½ tsp. agave
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Purée the watermelon thoroughly.
- Put salt on a small plate. Run lime slice around rim of glass and dip rim into salt. Add ice to the glass.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then add watermelon purée and remaining ingredients. Shake for 30 seconds and let sit another 30 seconds to fully infuse jalapeño.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glass and enjoy.