Last week I mentioned spending some time in Austin and eating my weight in Arlo’s food truck‘s mac ‘n’ cheese. But something I didn’t mention is that I also went to the legendary Veracruz All Natural for some of its world-class migas tacos—and I haven’t stopped thinking about them since.
If you’re not familiar, migas are breakfast tacos with eggs, veggies and tortilla chips (I think that crunchiness is the key to what makes them so good). Laura got the traditional migas tacos and I went with an alternative version that featured poblano peppers and black beans. I also omitted the eggs and cheese, of course.
Wanting to have the full migas experience, I came home to New Jersey and quickly got to work on recreating them vegan-style. Instead of eggs I opted for a tofu scramble (Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg would work well, too), but everything else is pretty much exactly as Veracruz All Natural does it.
Its version was voted one of the top five tacos in the country by Food Network. I’m not aiming that high, but I do think this vegan version is pretty darn good. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments, and be sure to share via the social media buttons below!
- 1 14-oz. package tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 tsp. olive oil, separated
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Drain water from tofu by placing it on a plate and sitting something heavy like a cast-iron skillet on top of it for about 10 minutes.
- Heat tortillas in a skillet over medium heat until each side begins to brown. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and crumble with a fork until it looks “scrambled.” Stir in turmeric.
- Cook tofu for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Add tortilla chips and top with remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil. Cook for 1 minute and add onion, tomato and cilantro. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Return tofu to pan, stir and cook for another three minutes.
- Spoon mixture into tortillas and top with Monterey Jack cheese, avocado slice and hot sauce (optional).