This site doesn’t have a ton of Buffalo-flavored items on it. Just the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and that’s it. I’m not sure why because it’s one of my favorite flavors. Without going into a Bubba Blue shrimp-style list of dishes, suffice it to say I love pretty much anything “Buffalo.” And coincidentally, I tried Buffalo Tater Tots at Montclair Vegan, the local comfort food spot in town, earlier this week and they were amazing.
I want to start adding a few more Buffalo-flavored things on the site, sprinkling them in here and there, starting today.
Since spring is here I’m going to incorporate more light fare going forward and what better way to kick that off than with these Buffalo Chickpea Lettuce Cups. They’re spicy, low-calorie and perfect as a snack or a light meal—especially when the weather is warm and you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. They also pair nicely with my Jalapeño Limeade or a tasty margarita.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below. If you like spicy things you’re going to love this. And be sure to tag @nutfreevegan on social media so I can see your photos!
Buffalo Chickpea Lettuce Cups
- ⅔ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Oil
- 2 cans 15 oz. chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 white onion sliced
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add hot sauce, garlic powder and lemon juice. Stir together.
- Raise heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss Buffalo sauce and chickpeas in a large bowl until coated.
- Heat oil over low heat in a medium skillet. Add chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove chickpeas from heat and let cool. Add them to lettuce cups and top with celery, tomatoes and onion. Add ranch or blue cheese dressing. Serve immediately.