Welcome to the Nut-Free Vegan! I’m Steven, the creator of this thing, and I’m so happy you’re here. My goal is to provide you with simple and delicious recipes that are free of animal products and nuts (I will be using coconut and peanuts from time to time, but I’ll always list substitutions). I’ll be posting a new recipe every five days, so go ahead and bookmark this page so you can check back, or sign up to have the recipes sent to your inbox over in the sidebar. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter at @nutfreevegan. See you there!
This first recipe is perfect for the Super Bowl on Sunday. If you have some friends coming over and you don’t want to order pizza and wings, give this bad boy a try. It’s a chocolate chipotle chili that starts out sweet, but finishes with heat.
All the recipes on the Nut-Free Vegan will be very easy to make. This one requires only a single pot and minimal preparation, and then it pretty much does the work by itself. All you need to do is let it cook for 25 minutes with the occasional stir, and you’re done. That’ll leave you plenty of time to greet your pals as they arrive to watch some football—or, as is the case in my house, some expensive commercials.
Not only is this dish simple, sweet and spicy, but it’s also loaded with pulses, so you’re gonna get some great nutrients in every bowl. It’s also gluten-free! That, my friends, is a guaranteed touchdown!
Chocolate Chipotle Chili
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced
- 4 15.5-oz. cans beans (1 can each Goya black, pinto, kidney and garbanzo)
- 1 28-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups grape tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 3 Tbsp. agave nectar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ bar dark chocolate preferably Newman’s Own Super Dark Chocolate Bar [3.5 oz.]
- Water if needed
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot.
- Cook onion, garlic, green pepper and jalapeño about 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Add in tomato paste and stir until coated—let heat 2 minutes.
- Stir in chipotle peppers and adobo sauce—let heat 2 more minutes.
- Add beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, cilantro, corn, agave, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and stir in dark chocolate.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.
- Serve plain or garnished with chopped onion, vegan sour cream and/or vegan cheese.