A friend of mine who works with me at my day job—we’re both book designers—has a side business I’m a big fan of. It’s a monthly cocktail subscription service called Shaker & Spoon that delivers drinks right to your door. Pretty great. I mention this because these Lemon Chia Muffins were kind of inspired by them.
From time to time my friend has fresh ingredients left over after the month’s Shaker & Spoon production and she’ll give me things like rosemary or thyme or limes. This time around I received lemons and needed to come up with something to use them in before they went bad. I’ve always been a fan of lemon poppy muffins, so that’s what I landed on after a bit of thinking—but with chia seeds instead. Since I’m not a big baker, I used this Martha Stewart recipe as a starting point and changed it up a bit.
The holidays seem to be when I do most of the baking for the year (last week I made Matcha Sugar Cookies, and not too long ago Pumpkin Bread), so I imagine you’ll see something else fresh out of the oven on this site in the coming weeks. Until then, give these muffins a try!
Tell Me What You Think
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this recipe if you make it. So drop me a comment below, and be sure to tag @nutfreevegan on social media if you’re posting photos. It’s always super fun to see these dishes out in the wild!
Lemon Chia Muffins
- ¾ cup vegan butter melted, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
- Egg replacer equivalent to 2 large eggs
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest from two lemons
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F, with rack in lower third. Butter and flour a 6-cup muffin pan, tapping out excess. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, egg replacer, soy milk, vanilla, lemon juice and zest; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; make a well in the center. Add liquid mixture and chia seeds to well. With a rubber spatula, gently stir ingredients just until batter is moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen muffins, and tip them on their sides to cool in pan.