Guys, it’s already May. Seriously, is half the year nearly gone already? The older I get, the quicker they go. But my existential dilemma has nothing to do with strawberry season, which is about to begin. I’ve been thinking about recipes to make that incorporate strawberries, and this is one of them. (And there are others on the way!) I think it’s pretty good.
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m really into Brussels sprouts. Thinking up new ways to use them is a lot of fun. That’s why they were the first thing I thought of when I started planning something with strawberries.
I’ve seen a lot of sprouts recipes that incorporate balsamic vinegar and agave, and several that incorporate fruits like grapes and cherries. There are also quite a few takes on strawberries and balsamic out there, so it occurred to me that this vinegar was the common denominator. If I could use that to tie together Brussels sprouts and strawberries, I figured it could be wonderful. They seemed like a natural fit. I should tell you, though, that the idea of balsamic and fruit always used to freak me out. I couldn’t figure out the appeal. But having worked with the combination for this recipe, I’m now a full-on convert. If done right—and it took me a few tries—they’re a perfect pair. Throw in the sprouts and you’ve got yourself something wonderful.
I’m in love with this recipe, but you can judge for yourself. Give it a whirl and let me know how it went. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Let me know on social media. I’m @nutfreevegan everywhere.
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Strawberries
- Balsamic strawberries
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup stemmed and sliced strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- Brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- About 24 Brussels sprouts quartered
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Heat balsamic in small saucepan over medium heat, just until boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer until it reduces to half its volume.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic 30 seconds.
- Add Brussels sprouts and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until they are tender and bright green. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in balsamic strawberries.