For the past few weeks I’ve been avoiding store-bought fake-meat proteins in my recipes. Looking back over the site it seems like I wasn’t incorporating much protein at all, but it’s been on my mind to come up with some new dishes that include alternate sources, things like tofu, quinoa and lentils. Coincidentally, my Root Beer Barbecue Seitan “Wings” are featured in the latest issue of Vegan Food and Living magazine, which is all about mock meats. But in my kitchen I’m focusing on these other things.
This recipe, for example, is built around lentils, which boast nearly 20 grams of protein per cup. I’ve had taquitos floating around in my brain for a few months now, and I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to fill them with. Then lentils came to mind, and I was off to the races.
These taquitos are awesome. They’re on the spicy side because I incorporated some chipotle peppers, and they’re also not quite as caloric as the traditional Mexican version because they’re baked instead of fried. Both things make them super tasty.
Tell Me What You Think
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this recipe if you make it. So drop me a comment below, and be sure to tag @nutfreevegan on social media if you’re posting photos. It’s always super fun to see these dishes out in the wild!
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- ½ white onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 2 cups lentils
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 3 chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 14 small tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils are tender and most of the broth is gone, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in pepper, salt, lime juice, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and cilantro. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Scoop 2 teaspoons of lentil mix into tortilla, roll up tightly. Repeat until tortillas fill large baking dish.
- Brush tops of tortillas with oil and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- Top with guacamole, salsa, sour cream or whatever you like.